Friday, January 9, 2009

After many days of silence...

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Well blog followers, I'm BACK! I have so much to share but its in bits and pieces.


First of all, thank you to everyone for your well wishes, prayers and concern for my life and Kristen's gift of life to me. I was in tears as I read your comments!


While at the pre-op appointment on the 7th, I walked away feeling secure that although complications could occur, Dr. Troppmann and the Transplant Team had a barrage of resources to deal with whatever came up. My parents and I were both pleased and all of our fears were put to rest.

Right before surgery, I went online and did a little research about what I could expect right after surgery, my findings created a sense of heaviness in me because of the numerous post-transplant medications and their possible side effects and future health complications. I felt the huge responsibility associated with caring for my new kidney and had dark thoughts that it could still reject. I had been so excited but those sobering thoughts helped balance my giddiness. I prayed for the hope and the peace that had kept me going all of these years and was ready to face the day with full-on optimism and trust in God to touch all concerned.

On the day before surgery, I had a procedure (a venogram) that required dye to be inserted into my right groin and a camera to examine my vein for any obstructions from prior dialysis treatment. Sounds simple enough, but NOOOO. The 10:30 a.m. procedure did not begin until 2:30 p.m., lasted for 45 minutes and then I had to stay at the hospital for 2 hours to make sure that no bleeding occurred. I DID NOT GET TO EAT THE WHOLE TIME! When I got home I was freaking out because I wanted my house to be perfect and clean and purged of all old junk when I got back with my new kidney. (Kind of like when you bring home a new baby.) Well it wasn't and that was not a good feeling but we had to get on the road to Sacramento.

On the morning of surgery, I woke up bright and early for my long awaited date. I had been counting down since day 80 something. I had the image of counting backwards and drifting off to sleep and letting the Transplant Team do all of the work. Kristen and I checked in together and were put into the same room to be taken upstairs. With all of the family and the laughter, it may have been why our rooms were at opposite ends of the floor after the transplant. I loved the group prayer in the room that day in addition to the many other prayer circles that I knew were praying for us and our caregivers and doctors. I truly felt the presence of the Lord.

I followed Kristen upstairs by about 30-45 minutes and went to pre-op. I waited and waited from about 8:30 to 11:45 before I left for surgery. I guess the day before was practice for me.I kept thinking, they are going to take the kidney out and I won't be there to get it!

The next thing I knew, it was 4:20 (I think) and I was in recovery talking to the nurses working on both sides of me. The first thing I remember saying was "Wow, I don't have any pain!" Who would on the drugs I was on? But anyway, it made me happy to be pain free.

Yes, I was still in recovery until 12:45 a.m. Had blood pressure so low I was surprised I was awake, received two units of blood but I was never afraid. When I got to my room, I was monitored all night every hour for vital signs and for breakfast I got red jello! I was a happy camper.

Stay tuned for post surgery thoughts and feelings. It has been an amazing ride!

Posted by Staci

No comments:

Post a Comment