Friday, January 9, 2009

It All Started for Me in 2003

Sunday, June 15, 2008

In August of 2003, my fiance (husband now) Jason gave a kidney to his dad Rod Weckworth. Having only known Rod with kidney failure, I was shocked to see him wake up from the surgery looking so good. It made me realize how sick he had been. In 2004 Jason and I got married, and I have had the blessing of a wonderful father-in-law in my life and in the lives of my children. I was so thankful for this gift - the gift that Jason gave to his dad who then blessed my family's lives - that I decided to donate a kidney to someone. I started praying for that person to come into my life. I really hoped that I could donate to another mom but knew that no matter what it would be the "right" person. In the summer of 2007 I heard about Staci Smith and by November I felt prompted to call her. On Thanksgiving morning, I called Staci with some awkwardness at first. "Ummm...your sister knows a friend of mine and I heard that you need a kidney transplant." I went on to tell her about Jason and his dad, and how we are a part of Team Donate Life. She told me about her medical journey and a little bit about herself (she's a mom...yeah!). I went on to tell her about my prayers for a recipient and said "I wonder if it's you!". On January 14th, 2008 I found out I was a match.

Posted by Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment