Friday, January 9, 2009

Red Letter Date - July 31, 2008

Today my dialysis supplies were picked up and returned to the warehouse. It has almost been five years! The time went by so quickly. It was so nice to see all of those boxes be taken away! When they were still here, I felt that there was a looming possibility that I would have to be on dialysis any day now.


I don't despise dialysis. In fact, I know that it was what God used to help keep me alive. It became part of the daily discipline for living, like eating and sleeping. I took it with me on a cruise and to Hawaii and even in the car while I was driving. Now, I feel the end of a chapter in my life. I affectionately referred to my connection to my dialysis machine at night as my umbilical cord. Now I have a new and improved support system.


Kris and I are bonding well and I feel her becoming a part of me. I am mentally more active than I am able to be physically but I am making good progress. It is hard to slow down because I want to be active. It is a test of patience so I am trying to stay focused on less physical and mentally challenging activities.


At three weeks and two days post transplant, all I can say is how amazed and grateful I continue to be. I continue to pray for Kristen's pain free recovery. I feel guilty that she has pain, especially when I don't...


Posted by Staci

1 comment:

  1. Such Impact on my Life

    To my sweet kidney sister Staci,

    I could never have imagined the impact this surgery was going to have on my own life. In the past three weeks I've been overwhelmed with how wonderfully my husband Jason has taken care of me. If he's not at my side, he's just a phone call away. I've never really needed him to take care of me and been so vulnerable to needing his help. This experience, among so many other things, has again shown me the amazing love that he has for me. I am so blessed to have Jason in my life. And because of knowing you, I not only have a new extended family, I have a renewed recognition of the love I already have in my life.

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete