Friday, January 9, 2009

Post-Op Day 3 - Home Sweet Home

Friday, July 11, 2008

Today I woke up in my own bed after a very restful night of sleep, interrupted only a couple times by trying to get more comfortable. I'm used to sleeping on my side or tummy, neither of which is easy to do now. I took another shower this morning after having a couple peices of toast for breakfast. My appetite is still not very big but I know that'll return quickly enough. Although it's nice to be home, I really can't complain about my stay in the hospital. The entire medical staff that took care of me was exemplary. Everyone was so caring and thoughtful. I was told by one of my nurses that everyone was talking about the fact that Staci and I didn't know each other before our "kidney connection" story. Apparently it's uncommon to have cases like ours. But I know that at least 4 of our friends have told us that they want to be considered as a kidney donor now!


I think it's like anything in life...we're more inclined to do something if someone we know has done it. I hope that's the case with our story. My prayer going into this was just to help save one life. But now I understand the impact that our surgery has had to possibly save many others. In fact, I'm overwhelmed by the ripple effect of this whole journey. How truly awesome.


Well, today is just a complete rest day. Jason is waiting on me hand and foot. And my dad and step-mom are here at the house to help with household chores and anything else that I need. I'm a lucky woman. My friend Susan organized meals to be brought to us which is so nice. That takes some of the burden of my caretakers. And the rest of my family and friends have told me that they are there for anything I need. Hmmm...I could really get used to this. Ha!


My thoughts and prayers are with Staci now. I talked to her and she said she's feeling great, not even feeling sore. She's been up and walking around earlier and will try to do that again later today. The doctors really encourage walking around and she's following orders perfectly! It's still expected that she'll be discharged tomorrow. I know she and her family are looking forward to that.

Posted by Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment